Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] proto_help.c

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:55:32 +0200
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:31:48PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> Btw, do we want to distribute and install the protocol_help stuff of the
> light version with Wireshark?

Just to answer myself: While it might be interesting, the datafiles have
a copyright that is "incompatible" with Wireshark's.
From: http://www.inacon.de/ph/data/copying.htm
License
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 3, 29 June 2007
[...]

While Wireshark is GPLv2+, we would force the prepackaged stuff to be
distributed under GPLv3.

Btw, is GPL really appropriate for documentation? Wasn't the CC family of
licenses specially created for such stuff?

Ciao
    Joerg