Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Makefile for wireshark dissector

From: sagar sg <sagu072@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:48:48 +0530
I am doing the same way, but i am getting lot of errors with wireshark libraries like

/export/qdserver/wireshark/wireshark-1.4.7/epan/tfs.h:39: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before const

u have any idea abt this type of error ? i am using g++ compiler and wireshark 1.4.7 libraries.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Ed Beroset <beroset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sagar sg wrote:
>         I am trying to compile my dissector independently by writing a
>single make file and Included some wireshark libraries. Can i do this or i
>need to compile it with wireshark s source code only??

If it's a plugin, and you've done things the way the other plugins are done, you can compile just the plugin's .so file by simply going to, say, plugins/myproto and running make.  If it's successful, it will create the myproto.so file in a plugins/myproto/.libs directory.

For rapid development, I've also been known to temporarily add a target to the makefile which then copies it to the installed location (default is /usr/local/lib/wireshark/plugins/1.7.0/ ) and runs tshark with a sample file, redirecting the output to an output file.

Note that the .so file that you put there must also match the wireshark build, so you'll need to get have the whole wireshark source tree even if all you desire is the plugin.  (OK, technically, you could just get a subset, but it would take longer to figure out exactly what subset you need than to just get the whole thing.)

Ed