Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] error in epan/tfs.h

From: Andreas <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:15:00 +0200
Am 18.07.2011 10:12, schrieb Guy Harris:

On Jul 18, 2011, at 1:02 AM, Helge Kruse wrote:

I use always C++ to write my custom dissectors. Did you surround the Wireshark #include with extern "C" like this?

Perhaps Wireshark should surround the body of epan/tfs.h with that....

Well, Wireshark is a C project. It uses C libraries as the GTK library. Therefore there is no need to add the 'extern "C"' guards to compile Wireshark.

It would be helpful, if all Wireshark header files add theses guards. This would improve the compatibility with C++ compilers. But this may be error prone, since the authors must remember this when creating a new header file. A missing guard would not be detected as long as a C++ user will use it. Therefore I prefer to set the guards in the consuming C++ project.