Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] dissecting bit

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:55:25 -0400
Chris

Thanks for the reply.

It is good to know not to waste my time anymore with the proto_tree_add_bits_item() anymore.

I am looking for a starting point now.

Knowing that all my bytes are little endian....what would be the best way to start dissecting my bytes..??

I have done this thus far: (I am heading in the right direction since I cannot use proto_tree_add_bits_item)...?? As you can see.... I am basically telling each field where the bits are located. But what happens when I come across a field that is variable length..??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

     //Version
proto_tree_add_item(vmf_sub_tree,hf_vmf_version, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);

     //FPI
     fpi = tvb_get_bits8(tvb, bit_offset, 1);
     proto_tree_add_item(vmf_sub_tree,hf_vmf_fpi, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);

            if(fpi == 1)
            {
            //Data Compression type
proto_tree_add_item(vmf_sub_tree,hf_vmf_datacompressiontype, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);
            }

            //GPI
            gpi = tvb_get_bits8(tvb, bit_offset, 1);
proto_tree_add_item(vmf_sub_tree,hf_vmf_gpi, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);

        { &hf_vmf_version,
            { "Version", "vmf.version", FT_UINT8, BASE_DEC, NULL, 0x0f,
                NULL, HFILL}},
        { &hf_vmf_fpi,
            { "FPI", "vmf.fpi", FT_UINT8, BASE_DEC, NULL, 0x10,
                NULL, HFILL}},
        { &hf_vmf_gpi,
            { "GPI", "vmf.gpi", FT_UINT8, BASE_DEC, NULL, 0x80,
                NULL, HFILL}},

Thanks,
Brian