Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Extending the USB dissector with subclass/protocol ID annotation

From: Tyson Key <tyson.key@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:50:01 +0100
Hi folks,

Over the past few hours, I've been reading version 1.2 of the USB Forum's Communications Device Class and Ethernet Control Model Subclass specifications; and now I'm left wondering what the best/most lightweight way to annotate the bInterfaceSubClass and bInterfaceProtocol fields of "Get Descriptor Response Configuration" packets would be.

That said, I'm not particularly interested in implementing every aspect of those specs, right now.

Obviously, a set of new field pointers and value lookup tables would be necessary - although having looked at the source code for the HID and Hub dissectors, it seems that a lot of additional infrastructure is necessary*, just to connect those, in order to provide such annotations...

Does anyone with greater familiarity of the USB dissector have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tyson.

* (Much of what I consider to be extraneous for this case is naturally the "value added" bits that cover everything else in the appropriate specs)

--
                                          Fight Internet Censorship! http://www.eff.org
http://vmlemon.wordpress.com | Twitter/FriendFeed/Skype: vmlemon | 00447934365844