Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs conformance TYPE_ATTR problem

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:58:53 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Risto Paasila
Sent: den 3 maj 2011 13:23
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs conformance TYPE_ATTR problem

>> Did I miss something? a arbitrary long field of binary data can not be FT_STRING.
>> /Anders
>
>The field that I initially had in question was:
>
>  correlationID [0] IMPLICIT OCTET STRING (SIZE(14))
>
>So it should be maximum 14 octets. Is that still arbitrary?
No, as the octet string has size constraints but still the hf field constructed for an OCTET STRING
Should be FT_BYTES as its Binary data, if a implementation chooses to put a string in that field you
Can override that by defining a .#ATTRIB (I think) but be aware that some other manufacturer/protocol implementer my put binary data in there and then the dissection would be wrong. Unless it's specified that even though the
Asn1 spec is OCTET STRING a utf8 string should be put in that field.
Regards
Anders