Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] (no subject)

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:44:00 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chaswi Przellczyk
Sent: den 31 mars 2011 10:39
To: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Wireshark-dev] (no subject)

On 3/30/2011 11:37 AM, Palleske, Carsten wrote:

    Hello all,

    - I've got Windows and I've got MS-VS 2010 Pro.
    - I downloaded Source-Code for Wireshark v1.44.
    - I downloaded CygWin and Perl and a bunch of tools and got them installed.
    - After getting used to the makefiles and stuff I got wireshark
    compiled. No details about that, since I'm not used to Makefile-driven
    development.
    - I can debug Wireshark from VS2010

    Ok, this is how far I got without help.

    Now I got into Wireshark and found the point that I want to change or
    add something to. Specifically I want to have a little pop-up asking for
    a number at a given point of code from within tap-rtp-common.c
    So I got down to wrote some minor dialog (ugh... got to get used to gtk
    development as well) and tried to compile. Naturally I got unresolved
    externals, since what I had written hadn't even been compiled. So I went
    looking for tap-rtp-common.c/h in all text files, since that's really
    the only file that I'll call into my little dialog anyway. I found
    tap-rtp-common.c/h was mentioned in ...\Wireshark\Makefile.common and in
    ...\Wireshark\CMakeLists.txt. So I went right into those and added my
    newly created .c and .h files in there.
    Now I get
    NMAKE : fatal error U1073: "....obj" konnte nicht erstellt werden
    Stop.

    That's a bit odd, since it seems to be enough for tap-rtp-common.c/h.
    Anyway - what did I miss? Where do I have to tell the Make-utility to
    compile my stuff? It doesn't even give any syntax or other c-related error.

First of all:

tap-rtp-common is used by both the GUI and non-GUI variants of the software (Wireshark[GUI], tshark & rawshark[non-gui].

So trying to access gtk functions from tap-rtp-common isn't going to work.

IOW trying to link to gtk from stuff in any other directory than .../gtk is a non-starter. :)

What is it that you are trying to accomplish ?

Dear Bill,

thanks for your response and forgive the confusion with the mailing-addresses. I created this account specifically to handle all the wireshark load.

At the end of tap-rtp-common.c is a function called int rtp_packet_analyse(...).
Inside rtp_packet_analyse when you go down to /* Dynamic PT */ and go to the else of that if, there is a statement that says clock_rate = 0;

Now, for the tests we are performing it is our wish to be able to enter the clock_rate at that very spot manually. That's what that mini-dialog is intended for. Just entering a number for the clock-rate.

It needs to work only in our little environment for our very specific purpose, so there's no need to find the "big-general-solution", unless it's even easier. For a starter, we're trying to get started with minimum effort.

Regards,
Carsten.

If you use wireshark trunk clock rate is extracted from SDP I think, does that solve your problem?
/Anders