Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Fwd: rs485

From: Steve Karg <skarg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:38:33 -0500
Hello Agustin,

>> I think it´s not possible to capture live data from rs485 using wireshark
>> directly but if anyone have worked in it I'll be grateful for any help.

I have been using the Wireshark pipe method to capture RS-485
traffic[1] - but it would be nicer if there was a generic IP method
for incoming packets (i.e. sending the packets remotely over IP to the
Ethernet interface from the capture utility).  I have also used SNAP
to send packets[2], but it doesn't work without root access (on
Linux).

Best Regards,

Steve
[1] https://bacnet.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bacnet/trunk/bacnet-stack/demo/mstpcap/main.c