Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] composite tvbuffs

From: "Scott Mueller" <smueller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:12:17 -0700

Hello Wireshark Dev List,

I’ve been working with my own dissector for some time now and have run into a bit of a snag involving memory usage. I have messages that are split up on a size boundary, so I allocate enough space for the overall message (yes, I know this is a bit of a red flag) with se_alloc, and then copy data from the tvb into this new buffer using tvb_memcpy. This is great, because I then pass this into tvb_new_real_data and then dissect those “large” tvbuffs.

Recently, I’ve been working with messages that exceed 3 megabytes or so. In this case, se_alloc complains and throws an exception about allocating more than 2.5 megabytes. I realized my mistake, and am now searching for a way to have a “chunked” allocation. Searching through the tvbuff.h header led me to the tvb_*composite* functions. Further searches on those functions resulted in an uncertainty as to whether or not these work.  The tests in tvbtest.c which apparently exercise tvb operations have references to the composite functions commented out, but the packet-rtmpt.c dissector in the Wireshark development branch makes use of these.

Packet-rtmpt.c creates a composite tvbuff, appends to it, and then calls finalize. It then calls tvb_memdup and uses the allocated memory as backing for another tvb (tvb_new_real_data again) , but doesn’t call g_free to release the memory.

Am I missing something? What is the status of composite tvbuffs? If they aren’t complete, what is needed to make this happen?

Any help at all would be appreciated. If what I’ve said here isn’t clear, let me know that too. Thanks!

Best regards,

M. Scott Mueller