Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Virtual WireShark appliance

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:34:20 +0200
On 20 sep 2010, at 06:58, john s wolter wrote:

> WireShark needs to have software virtual appliances.  This for the Cloud computing services and for the virtual environments like Xen.  A minimal virtual WireShark appliance could be added as an observer as part of a cloud array or Xen environment.  It's a perfect complement to the physical appliances for the in the Cloud crowd.  I can imagine many variations on this theme.

That would indeed be great. However, the problem is not so much the software virtual appliance (we could whip up a linux VM with wireshark installed, ready to deploy). The problem is how to get packets to the virtual appliance. Most virtual switches that come with the virtualization environment just don't do port mirroring and such (please correct me if I'm wrong here nowadays).

Cheers,

Sake