Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Configuration Error

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 00:25:44 -0700
On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:10 AM, raymond lew wrote:

> Here is the patch in the installation process of wireshark-1.4.0rc2 source code on fedora 13. Unable to install yacc, bison, etc. on this machine.

We appear to ship wiretap/ascend.c with the wireshark-1.4.0 source tarball (that's the latest source tarball); is there any reason for us to require bison/byacc in the configuration file, given that wiretap/Makefile.am will, if asked to convert ascend.y to ascend.{c,h}, complain "Neither bison nor byacc has been found" and fail if YACC isn't set, so if you're building from SVN, or you've modified ascend.y, you *will* need bison or byacc installed and it should properly report that, but if you're building from a source tarball, it should just use the prebuild ascend.c?