Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to Debug wireshark in Eclipse on Linux Enviroment?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:59:17 -0800
On Jan 25, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Jaap Keuter wrote:

> I'm not familiar with Eclipse but Unix/Linux development is fully supported.
> Have a look at the Developer's Guide and notice all the Unix/Linux sections.
> In general Windows development is more involved, requiring more documentation.
> Unix/Linux development is pretty straightforward.

...although a lot of "Windows development" of Wireshark is really "UN*X development", given that

	1) we're using a toolkit originally developed for UN*X+X11 (GTK+);

	2) GLib, also originally being for UN*X, provides macros etc. to wrap some of Microsoft's C-library "look sort of line UN*X to make it easier to port stuff from UN*X" routines, and provides some other portability helpers;

	3) the cases where we *do* make Win32 calls directly are largely hidden from most of the code in Wireshark.