Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] how to submit code to wireshark..??

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:36:43 -0500
Japp and Chris

Thank you for the reply.

I really understand that you must follow the code standards or you will have problems down the road.
I also understand that the core developers don't have much free time.

My next question is: If the code is that bad...will they help me out or will the core developers through it away..??

Just wondering how lenient they are. I am a java developer learning C.
My custom dissector works very well and the clients are indeed happy with it. I did go through the wireshark README.dev file the best that I could to my current knowledge...but I will not lie to you and say that there were some things that I did not understand 100%. But any help that the developers can give me is and would be greatly appreciated..!!

My company would love to have our dissector a part of the Wireshark distribution..!!

Thanks,
Brian

Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi Brian,

Sure it's possible to have them included. How do you think we got most of our code ;)

First of all we're very critical of code quality. For regular dissectors we very much like the code to adhere to the guidelines set out in README.developer.
For generated (from ASN.1) dissectors we'll need proper conformance files etc.

Then we need the code to be fuzz tested. That usually shakes out the most obvious bugs.

Additional dissectors are to be submitted through enhancement bugs in bugzilla. That way it won't get lost and can be reviewed and discussed when time permits. Mind you this means free time for the core developers, which sometimes is in short supply.

Further stuff is written in doc/README.developer, the Wiresrhark Developers Guide and the Wiki.

Thanks,
Jaap

Brian Oleksa wrote:
Wireshark Dev Team

I am a member of a Software Development firm that writes open source code which runs on wireless MANET tactical networks. Our clients are avid users of the Wireshark tool. There are also many users who download our code / tools and use it on their networks as well.

We would eventually like to have our dissector be included in the wireshark distribution when downloaded. Is this possible..?? If so.. what are the steps that need to be taken..??

Thank you

Brian Oleksa
Dark Corner Software LLC
www.darkcornersoftware.com