Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] how to submit code to wireshark..??

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:20:51 +0100
Hi Brian,

Sure it's possible to have them included. How do you think we got most of our code ;)

First of all we're very critical of code quality. For regular dissectors we very much like the code to adhere to the guidelines set out in README.developer.
For generated (from ASN.1) dissectors we'll need proper conformance files etc.

Then we need the code to be fuzz tested. That usually shakes out the most obvious bugs.

Additional dissectors are to be submitted through enhancement bugs in bugzilla. That way it won't get lost and can be reviewed and discussed when time permits. Mind you this means free time for the core developers, which sometimes is in short supply.

Further stuff is written in doc/README.developer, the Wiresrhark Developers Guide and the Wiki.

Thanks,
Jaap

Brian Oleksa wrote:
Wireshark Dev Team

I am a member of a Software Development firm that writes open source code which runs on wireless MANET tactical networks. Our clients are avid users of the Wireshark tool. There are also many users who download our code / tools and use it on their networks as well.

We would eventually like to have our dissector be included in the wireshark distribution when downloaded. Is this possible..?? If so.. what are the steps that need to be taken..??

Thank you

Brian Oleksa
Dark Corner Software LLC
www.darkcornersoftware.com