Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is it time to make Wireshark a native Mac OS X application?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:12:28 -0600

On Sep 21, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Requiring X11 seems to be a hurdle for a lot of OS X users. I think a
native or near-native app would be well-received.

Yeah. We also have the issue of not having the native look and feel of Mac OS X and its applications, which is a serious infraction in the Mac world ;-).

Three minutes after Stephen's mail arrived I received a request from
Laura Chappell for iPhone support. It would be nice to be able to expand
to other platforms if needed.

Did Laura mention what sort of things we could explore doing on an iPhone? I thought a little bit about that too, but didn't have any big ideas.

For those who don't know: Like Mac OS X, iPhone applications are also written in Objective-C and use a graphics API called Cocoa Touch, which is similar to OS X's Cocoa.

Steve