Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is it time to make Wireshark a native Mac OS X application?

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:46:01 -0700
Guy Harris wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>
>> Is it time to make Wireshark a native Mac OS X application?
>
> For suitable values of "native", possibly.

Requiring X11 seems to be a hurdle for a lot of OS X users. I think a
native or near-native app would be well-received.

Three minutes after Stephen's mail arrived I received a request from
Laura Chappell for iPhone support. It would be nice to be able to expand
to other platforms if needed.

> One possibility might be to use wxWidgets:
>
> 	http://www.wxwidgets.org/

 [ ... ]

> Their tree control supports only one column, and appears to require
> that you supply the text for the column when you add an item; there's
> an add-on tree list control:
>
> 	http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/treelistctrl/
>
> but it has the same "supply the text for the columns when you add an
> item" limitation.  We'd have to write our own tree control so that the
> text can be generated on demand.

Could we use wxGrid (http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.6/wx_wxgrid.html) for
the packet list?

> Some other frameworks of that sort are: