Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tab-width considered less effective than some might think

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:21:47 -0700
Bill Meier wrote:
> Gerald Combs wrote:
>> Visual C++ defaults to tabs for indentation with tab stops every 4
>> characters. I'm not sure if these settings can be overridden without
>> changing the user's global preferences.
>>

> I'm not sure as to your exact concerns.
>
> Poking around a bit in VS2008 I see the
> following (which you may already know):
>
> 1. The VS editor indentation options can be set on a per programming
> language basis. (Tools ! Options)
>
> 2. All or specific VS "Settings" (the IDE configuration) can
>     be exported/imported:
>      Tools ! Export and Import Settings
>
>     Also: a specific ".vssettings" file can be loaded when the
>     VS 2008 IDE is started.
>
>     From "vcexpress /?"
>      /ResetSettings Restores the IDE's default settings,
>      optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

I'm assuming that these settings are global since there doesn't appear
to be a way to tell VS to apply tab and indentation settings on a
per-file or per-project basis. I'm also assuming that telling everyone
to change their global preferences is a little presumptuous. If these
aren't valid then I don't have a problem mandating a particular
indentation style.

For everyone on -dev that uses the VS editor, is switching over to 4
spaces for indentation a big deal?