Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tab-width considered less effective than some might think

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:27:08 +0200
Hi,

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 jul 2009, at 03:56, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Guy Harris wrote:

<snip>

At least on UN*X, it's probably best to assume that a tab character in
a file advances to the next tab stop, with tab stops set every 8
characters.  Yes, this means that if you want 4-space indents, you
can't use tab characters, although it might be possible to configure
your editor so that typing the tab key indents every 2, or 4, or...
spaces, e.g. by setting c-basic-offset to 4 in GNU Emacs.

I suspect we're on the same page.

My personal preference is to use only spaces for indentation and that,
if tabs are used, the tab stops should be every 8 characters.

IOW I agree, as you suggest, that if tabs are used "it's probably best
to assume ..., with tab stops at every 8 characters".

Another example: I note that  viewvc assumes (or is configured to
assume) 8 character tabs stops when displaying Wireshark source
(http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc).

I've been thinking for quite some time about suggesting that the use
"non 8 space tabs" (eg: tab stops every 4 spaces) be deprecated;

So: what do others think ?  :)

It is the tab itself that needs to be deprecated. To avoid wasting bandwidth and braincycles like this.

Jaap