Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using multiple layers of dissectors

From: Aurélien Decagny <funtim78@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:14:33 +0200
Hi,

I thought that if there is 2 protocols, I should create 2 plugins. So if one protocol evolve, or is replaced, we only have to change one dissector, and we won't need to change the other. I thought it would be easier.
And so in the tree, where the data are dissected, we would have two lines: one for each protocol. In fact like for the Ethernet / IP / TCP...
Is it possible to do that with only one dissector?

And the two protocols are:

ASN.1 described protocol <= protocol used to transform satellite data into something understandable by all space agencies.
ISP <= little protocol used to transfer the data, make the bind and send Heartbeat messages to maintain connexion.
TCP
IP

For the ASN.1, I have already made a C program which transform data in ASN.1 into something I can display. Now, I just need to adapt this program for Wireshark. So I think it would be easier to use directly this, as I know how to use it and which parameters have to be selected by the user in Wireshark.

As the ISP protocol is specified by the OSI, I think it's not a private/proprietary protocol. Where can I send the code? By the mailing list? In fact there is almost nothing for the ISP protocol, so I won't be sure that it will help you if I send you my dissector.

Regards
Aurelien