Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Segmentation fault on startup of wireshark

From: Rich Alderson <wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:28:34 -0400 (EDT)
I have just built the latest stable version of wireshark on Slackware 12.2,
after building all of the prerequisites.

When I run the program, I get the following error messages:

    MDE ~> which wireshark
    /usr/bin/wireshark
    MDE ~> ls -la /usr/bin/wireshark
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5408963 2009-07-17 16:30 /usr/bin/wireshark*
    MDE ~>
    MDE ~> wireshark

    (wireshark:9293): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_qdata: assertion
    `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

    (wireshark:9293): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata_full: assertion
    `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    Segmentation fault

I'm sorry, but I'm not a Unix/C programmer, I'm a TOPS-20/Macro-20 programmer
trying to do a job, and I don't get what wireshark is trying to tell me.

tshark, on the other hand, works like a charm, if only it would give me the
info I need as I need it.

                                                                Thanks,
                                                                Rich Alderson