Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] read trace in format dag

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:17:34 +1200
antonionestola_@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Good morning,I am a student of ingegnery of tlc, e for my work of thesis I have to open e read same trace of traffic,as for example the attachment,but this trace is in dag format e I don't know to read whit wireshark.Please,help me.thanks......

Questo messaggio contiene i seguenti allegati:
* 20000125-143640-1.gz (197997389 byte)

Wireshark supports reading Endace 'ERF' format files created using DAG cards.

A file that old is probably not in ERF format, it may be DAG 'legacy' format, which is not supported by Wireshark.

I think you are looking at this file:

http://wand.cs.waikato.ac.nz/wits/auck/2/20000125-143640-1.php

The information on the Auckland-II trace set says:

"The recommended method for processing these traces is to use Libtrace, which we have developed. There are a number of tools included with libtrace such as a packet dumping utility, a trace format converter (for example, to convert to pcap), a trace splitting/filtering tool and a few statistic generators. We suggest you examine the Libtrace Wiki for more details on the Libtrace tools and the library itself."

http://wand.cs.waikato.ac.nz/wits/auck/2/auckland_ii.php

Using Libtrace you could perhaps convert the file into pcap format in order to read it with Wireshark.

Stephen.
    Stephen Donnelly BCMS PhD           email: sfd@xxxxxxxxxx
    Endace Technology Ltd   	        phone: +64 7 839 0540
    Hamilton, New Zealand               cell:  +64 21 1104378