Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] registry path Re: how to edit/add an entry in windows regist

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:09:00 -0700

On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Joshua (Shiwei) Zhao wrote:

I want to edit a registry related to the capture device selected.
To get the registry path of a capture device, we need to know its SubDriverKey which could be specified somewhere in windows registry.

When Wireshark make a list of available devices for capture preparation, we get the list from dumpcap but name, description, and ip_address are saved. Were they retrieved from registry table?

They were retrieved from WinPcap; you'd have to ask the WinPcap developers where they get that information.