Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark multiple instances - issue

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:14:09 -0700

On Jul 10, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Purandhar Krishnamurthy wrote:

When I execute ‘kill –SIGINT pid2’ , the SIGINT signal is NOT received by the tshark with process Id pid2, instead it is received by the pid1.

If that's truly the case, that's either a bug in the kill command or the kernel, not a bug in tshark; tshark cannot magically arrange that the kill() system call deliver a signal to a process other than the one whose PID was handed to the system call.

I suspect, however, that what's happening is something other than the signal being delivered to the wrong process, as it's unlikely that your OS kernel or kill command would be that strangely broken.