Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 28900: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: "Tamazov, Artem" <artem.tamazov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:37:23 -0500
Hi,

Generally speaking, I think that assertions in cases when local (static) function
is invoked with wrong parameters are legal. The caller function must take care
about parameters (and it does currently in packet-pw-atm.c).
For global functions some other approach should be used, of course.

Specifically, I consider replacing assert(payload_size >= 0) with DISSECTOR_ASSERT as acceptable.

But I do not like removal of NULL pointer check. I believe that aboring application
internally (via abort()) is always better than aborting via exception in the OS kernel.
Removing second assert() also removes important information:
"this function REQUIRES to be invoked with valid pointer as a parameter".

Regards,
Artem Tamazov
TELLABS