Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ports

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:24:22 -0400

Martin Corraine (mcorrain) wrote:
Hello,
Two of my dissectors that I wrote use the same tcp port, the ged125 (being reviewed) and a proprietary protocol). Their default port is both 5000. When I have the default ports the same the ged125 fails to dissect but the other one still functions. How do I overcome this issue?

As Jaap suggested: make both of them heuristic by making them "new style" dissectors that return 0 if they find the packet is not for them. (Search for "new_create_dissector_handle()" in README.developer.)