Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Lint of packet-tcp.c

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:59:34 -0400
I've been using Gimpel's PC-Lint for a long time and really like it a
lot.  It's a commercial product but it's pretty cheap for a single seat
license at $239: http://www.gimpel.com/.  PC-Lint runs on Windows, but
their Flexelint product runs on *nix's.

Splint is open-source & free though and should be able to detect similar
problems I would think.  I tried it once or twice but was already
comfortable with PC-Lint so I never made the switch:
http://www.splint.org/download.html.

Wikipedia & answers list more static analysis tools as well, quite a few
of which are open source:
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-tools-for-static-code-analysis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tools_for_static_code_analysis

If you're thinking of using PC-Lint, I can post the options file and
scripts I'm using to give you a head start.  I'm not really doing
anything fancy though, but it might possibly help to get started.  I've
purposely not quieted lint too much for now, but I would think that many
of the warnings would want to be turned off so it's easier to focus on
the more problematic ones - at least initially.  I'm also not using any
of the advanced features yet either such as function mimicry, value
tracking, etc.  There are plenty of warnings to sift through already
without having lint generate even more.

- Chris
(By the way, full descriptions of lint warnings I submit using Gimpel's
tool can be read here: http://www.gimpel.com/html/pub80/msg.txt.  It's
located on their "Lint 8.00 Patches" page.)