Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Installing Plugin on an existing Wireshark installation

From: Pascal Heude <pascalheude@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:18:00 +0200
Hi,

You can have a look to this site http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx and go to step 12. There is a short description of how to build a wireshark installer that you can give to your colleague.

Pascal

Jaap Keuter a écrit :
Hi,

There two parts to your question:
1. How do I create a plugin from my dissector
2. How do I install my plugin with a Wireshark installation

The answer to question 1 you already figured out by reading README.plugin, I
presume. This gives you a loadable module which you'll have to provide to your
colleagues. They will have to put it in the appropriate location in their
Wireshark installation. There's no dedicated installer for that.
Note that the version of Wireshark you build your plugin for must match the
version your colleagues use.

Thanx,
Jaap

Chirag Lathia wrote:

Hi list,

I have written my own dissector for a protocol in the epan/dissector
folder. It compiles, runs, installs well. Now, I want to give it to a my
colleagues who refrain from installing Wireshark all over again. Is
there any way I can compile my dissector code and create an installer
which will simply install my dissector as a plugin on an existing
Wireshark installation.

I read various Wireshark Developer manuals on the website as well as the
READMEs, but all of them only had information on how to build the plugin
"along with" the source.

Help would be much appreciated. Thank You.

~Chirag.