Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Bundling vcredist_x86.exe (was Re: First time compiling with VS

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 11:31:58 -0600
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:48:54 +0200, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Maynard, Chris schrieb:
>> When I tried to create a Windows installer, I noticed an error.  The
>> vcredist_x86.exe was missing from C:\wireshark-win32-libs\.  I already
>> had it downloaded, so I just copied it to the expected directory and the
>> package built successfully (I think ... I haven't actually installed it
>> on another system yet.)  I guess that file should be pulled down as part
>> of the setup?
>
> Should be part of the setup, yes. But please note, that you need exactly
> the right version of this redist package! You'll even need the right SP
> version, e.g. the redist for 2005EE doesn't work for 2005EE SP1!
>
> What happens is that you can build the installer, but when you try to
> install it on a different "non-developer" machine (that don't have the
> redist files already installed), WS won't start because the CRT DLL
> versions installed don't match exactly with what's required.

The license agreements for the 2005EE and 2008EE versions of
vcredist_x86.exe both have the following text:

"You may not:

  [ lots of scary bullet points ]

  * publish the software for others to copy;"

In other words, Microsoft wants you to get the redistributable CRT
packages from Microsoft and nowhere else. It looks like we're letting
people violate this in wireshark.nsi since we provide the option of
bundling vcredist_x86.exe. Should we check for the presence of the proper
CRT and just warn the user instead?