Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] First time compiling with VS2008EE

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:48:54 +0200
Maynard, Chris schrieb:
When I ran wireshark to test it, one thing I noticed that I hadn't
before is that when I did a File -> Open, then dragged the dialog window
across the main page, the main page was corrupted with window edges of
the dragged FileOpen dialog.  I don't recall that happening when I
compiled it against VS6.0.  Anyone else notice that?

This was already true with VC6. It was "introduced", when Gerald changed the implementation to use the native Windows File dialogs - which was necessary as a lot of Windows users had problems with the GTK dialogs.

I think there's already a bugzilla entry for this - and unfortunately no real solution, because the native windows dialogs use synchronous calls and so no events are handled in the GTK event loop - so no screen updates take place.

When I tried to create a Windows installer, I noticed an error.  The
vcredist_x86.exe was missing from C:\wireshark-win32-libs\.  I already
had it downloaded, so I just copied it to the expected directory and the
package built successfully (I think ... I haven't actually installed it
on another system yet.)  I guess that file should be pulled down as part
of the setup?

Should be part of the setup, yes. But please note, that you need exactly the right version of this redist package! You'll even need the right SP version, e.g. the redist for 2005EE doesn't work for 2005EE SP1!

What happens is that you can build the installer, but when you try to install it on a different "non-developer" machine (that don't have the redist files already installed), WS won't start because the CRT DLL versions installed don't match exactly with what's required.

There were a few "Section <something>" warning messages
produced, but the executable was built as could be seen in the
packaging/nsis/ directory.  I forgot exactly what the messages were and
tried to recompile the installer again to see them, but it failed with
this warning:

NMAKE : warning U4004: too many rules for target
'../../doc/rawshark.html'

While building both the U3 and PortableApps installers, I noticed a
couple of "FileNotFoundException"'s as follows:
upx: host\[a-z]*.exe: FileNotFoundException: host\[a-z]*.exe
upx: Files\App\Wireshark\[a-z]*.exe: FileNotFoundException:
Files\App\Wireshark\[a-z]*.exe

(For brevity, I did not include any build output context but I can
include that as well if it helps or can't be gotten from the buildbot.)

Despite the warnings, both installers were built, but I have not
actually tested installing either of them onto a U3 or generic flash
drive yet.

Could you file seperate bug reports for each problem?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.

Sic!

;-)

Regards, ULFL