Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark to sql

From: Nathan Jennings <njen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:35:40 -0400
On 7/25/2008 4:02 AM, Saeed Akhtar wrote:
Is there any tool for offline scripting ........

You may want to have a look at CoMo:

http://como.sourceforge.net/

From the "Publications" section:

http://como.sourceforge.net/pubs/fastproto.pam2006.pdf

I suppose it depends on your requirements and how much/little code you want to write.

What application layer protocols are you interested in (i.e. decodes)? Or is it just basic IP/TCP/UDP info enough? Are you firmly set on using the decodes/logic (data) Wireshark supplies (if so, then you'd need to write some code to extract that and then import it somehow (tshark -T pdml?))?

It'd be interesting to hear your requirements/use case and your estimated data set size.

FWIW, a while back I wrote a couple of "off-the-cuff" (quick and dirty) scripts that did a simple nightly export from a firewall log that had about 2GB of data. I then stripped it to just IP/port address pairs and timestamps and maybe a small proprietary firewall tag (varchar) field or two. The other script deleted any existing indexes and then did a bulk data load into a PostgreSQL table and then re-created the indexes.

What surprised me was how slow this process was... with a 2-way Xeon 2.6 GHz box, SCSI disks and 2GB RAM (I wish I could remember some queries I did and the load/import times, sorry). Depending on your queries and the amount of data you actually load into the tables, and obviously your hardware, you may be in for a rough/slow ride.

I don't intend to discourage you, just to pass along some very basic info from an admittedly simple test/trial I did.

Like most things, it just depends on your requirements/data sets and whether the performance/load is acceptable.

The paper I referenced above had some references to other projects that you might find useful.

Hope this helps, -Nathan

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Abhik Sarkar <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>