Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build for VS 2008

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:34:36 -0700
Nathan Jennings wrote:
> Trying to start a capture gets me the generic Windows error dialog where
> I can click "Debug" and it takes me into the VS debugger and drops me
> into "dbghook.c" with the following in the output window:
>
> Microsoft Visual Studio C Runtime Library has detected a fatal error in
> wireshark.exe.
>
> The stack frame seems to be in "msvcr90.dll".
>
> Right after the debug hook call, if I step through it, the next call is
> to a Watson handler and then TerminateProcess. :-(
>
> Just curious if anyone was looking at this or had put any time into it.
> I have a feeling this is a large "can of worms" (cross CRT-version calls?).
>
> I know... I should probably just install VS 2005EE. ;-)

According to
http://kobyk.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/dynamically-linking-with-msvcrtdll-using-visual-c-2005/
it's possible to use newer versions of Visual C++ to link against the "classic"
msvcrt.dll instead of msvcr[789]?.dll. This might let us get rid of some of the
complexity in the current Windows build environment and let us use a newer
compiler for the official builds.