Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] interesting issues with multiple calls to dissector

From: "Roger Wu" <realmlord44@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:05:52 -0700
I'm working on a dissector for a proprietary protocol, and I'm running into some interesting issues.  I'm running on debian 4, with wireshark 0.99.4 (for some legacy reasons).

First, I'd like to know if anyone knows why exactly my dissector gets called three times for each single packet.  If I just haven't been able to find it in a manual, I'd appreciate anyone pointing out the location.

Anyway, due to the triple call, when I try to call a proto_tree_add_text(), I get some asymmetric results, sometimes I get one text item, which is what I wanted, other times, I get 2, which I can't explain.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,
Roger