Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using ptvcursor in a Plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:48:52 -0700

On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:39 AM, DeRosa, Anthony wrote:

Great, thanks Guy for making the changes to the main branch.

Credit where credit is due - the changes to the main branch were done by Jaap Keuter in May 2008. I just added it to the list of "fixes to propagate" on the Wireshark Wiki.

The reason I was a little confused is because I thought my plugin.dll
was linking against a static library (libwireshark.lib).  So my
reasoning was that my plugin should work with any release, even those
that didn't export the API, because my plugin was linking against a
*static* library.  I now realize that the plugin links against the
libwireshark DLL (the linker uses the libwireshark.lib to locate symbols that are exported in libwireshark DLL). Like I said, I am not a Windows
developer,

Neither am I - a number of the, how shall I phrase this, *quirks* of the Windows development environment (the need to explicitly export symbols from a DLL, the fact that it's not guaranteed that you can malloc something in code built with one version of the C runtime library and free it in code built with another version of the runtime library, the fact that it's not guaranteed that you can open a file descriptor or a FILE * in code built with one version of the C runtime library and use it in code built with another version of the runtime library) come as a bit of a surprise to those of us used to UN*X.