Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dissector global variable

From: Hans Glück <hanschris.glueck@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:55:48 +0000 (GMT)
Hi,

Ok, I read through the documents but now I think it is not possible to realize my "problem"/task in wireshark.
I have a communication on 2-3 channels, ok therefor I could use conversations. But I want also that I can calculate the next expected frame on e.g. channel 1, therefor I extract the actual frame number out of frame n and increase it (="next calculated frame number"). Then I´ll compare the calculated frame number with the frame number of the next received frame n+1 on channel 1. But because of the random access of the capture file I do not know whether the "next calculated frame number" should be the same like the actual frame n+i. I couldn´t find out if the last dissected packet (where I calculate the "next calculated frame number") was really the predecessor of my actual frame. With the help of timestamps I can find out if the last dissected packet was A predecessor but not if it was THE predecessor of my actual frame. I could also check, if frame n-1 was already visited, but that doesn´t helps, too.

Am I wrong or is there a possibility?

Regards and Thanks
Chris