Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: "Abhik Sarkar" <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:57:16 +0400
> What is special about March 1st and June 14th? The welcome page will display
> a different welcome message from the message "The World's Most Popular
> Network Protocol Analyzer" on these two dates.
>
> Just curious.

This got me very curious as well... so I did a bit of digging around
and I finally found this... _July_ (Guy Harris' hint) 14th back in
1998 was probably the day Gerald announced Ethereal. I can't find any
direct evidence of this, but the USPTO (www.uspto.gov) website
suggests that was the date the trademark was first used publicly. The
alternate statement is (was) of course the motto of Ethereal.

April 1st is a bit more difficult. I can't find any major incident
related to Wireshark/Ethereal linked to that day. So, my guesses:
- Perhaps it was an important date in Gerald's switch to the new co.?
- or, it is just meant to be a April fool's day joke?
Not really sure.

I hope no one 'destroy[s my] very existence' after this ;-)

Abhik.