Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Should we support GTK+ 2.0[.x] and 2.2[.x], or just 2.4 and

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:40:26 +0200
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:55:47PM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
> > Red Hat with a 2.4.x kernel; unfortunately, I don't know of any generic
> > way to determine what version of what Linux distribution you're running
> > on, so I don't know of any way to say "Red Hat Linux 8.1" in the -v output.
>
> There's not really a generic way but there aren't _that_ many (major)
> Linux distributions.
>
> Redhat and (IIRC) CentOS have /etc/redhat-release; for example:
>
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 2)
>
> SuSe has /etc/SuSe-release; for example:
>
> > SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (i586)
> > VERSION = 9
>
> A Debian system nearby has its version info in /etc/lsb-release .

Looking at the Ubuntu upgrade info (8.04 came out today), I discovered
the command "lsb_release -a" which gives the following info on
my ubuntu and fedora systems:

sake@vmhost03:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        7.10
Codename:       gutsy
sake@vmhost03:~$

[sake@vm-fedora8 trunk]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: Fedora
Release:        8
Codename:       Werewolf
[sake@vm-fedora8 trunk]$

I'm not sure though if all distributions support that command.

Cheers,
    Sake