Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Tap preferences

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:24:58 -0700
Martin Mathieson wrote:

We can revisit the preference GUI structure (and whether per-tap preferences should have their own API) if and when more tap-related preferences are added.

I think the answer to "should per-tap preferences should have their own API?" is a definite "yes" - we should have as little code as possible that knows about particular taps, just as we should have as little code as possible that knows about particular dissectors.

Whether a per-tap preference would be on the main "Statistics" preference page or on a page of its own is a separate matter.

Of course, if the tap has a GUI, perhaps the preference should be settable from the tap's GUI - in which case it should presumably be saved in the "recent" file, if it's just a case of "set the preference for this instance and it'll apply to the next instance you create".