Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Tap preferences

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:39:30 +0200
Hi,

'Statistics' would be a start.

Thanx,
Jaap

Martin Mathieson wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    1) It would be nice to have a generalized concept.
    2) I'm not really happy with the Taps/Statistics moniker on this
    item. I mean,
    as a user I don't know what a 'Tap' is. Neither that it's the
    mechanism to get
    RTP payloads to the player. So to find settings there for the RTP
    player is
    just not intuitive.

I wasn't entirely happy with it. My initial thought was to add this preference to the top-level 'User Interface' pane, but its already pretty crowded there and I wasn't sure if it really belonged there anyway.

I always thought the RTP player group with one item in it looked a bit odd. I don't know what other preferences may be added there - I suppose options relating to codec plugins might belong there one day.

Taps that have options are currently configured using controls within the windows themselves, e.g. 'Name Resolution' or 'Limit to Display Filter' checkboxes. I suppose 'Name Resolution' is common to several different tap windows, and a common default for all taps could be added, but the general 'Name Resolution' preference setting is likely to be a good default.here (not sure if this is being done - I very seldom use name resolution).

Would renaming 'Taps/Statistics' to 'Statistics' help? At least this matches the menu item under which all of the affected windows are launched. Or can someone think of a better organisation?

Regards,
Martin

    I'm currently not aware of other features that could end up here with
    settings, but this needs some attention.

    Thanx,
    Jaap

    http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=25143