Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Should we support GTK+ 2.0[.x] and 2.2[.x], or just 2.4 and

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:07:11 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

I've cleaned up that file so it no longer uses xpm at all. At least this file builds again on 2.0/2.2 - but I don't have a system to test further GTK 2.0/2.2 compilation.

Well, it now builds under GTK+ 2.2.4/GLib 2.2.3, at least.

However, a quick search for

#if GTK_CHECK_VERSION

results in 69 matches, most 2.4, some2.6 (gtk_file_chooser) and one 2.9 (gtk-label-select-on-focus)

So there are not that many places that could show problems here - the problem we have seems to be a lack of tests if GTK 2.0/2.2 is still running.

Of course, if no one uses these versions, it doesn't make a lot of sense to maintain them ;-)

...and there are some fairly significant differences between the pre-2.4 and 2.4-and-later code, such as the stuff to handle the file dialog.