Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:42:20 +0200
Gerald Combs schrieb:
Ulf Lamping wrote:
However, a basic news panel *might* be useful. Problem here: for example
you won't get freshly developed features if you are using the WS release
versions. I currently don't see a good way to handle these problems, but
this might be a future thing to think about.

We can get version information from http://www.wireshark.org/wireshark-pad.xml,
and I can always add a more easily-parsed version file if needed.
Yes, I was also thinking of using the pad file, I had a look - it would be easy enough to parse. But the things to start thinking about would be having two of them, one for the official released branch (V1.2 or V2.0 later) and one for the developer releases V1.1. There's a lot more to think about, an outdated list of things is at: http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Update (however that page is a bit outdated, today I would do some of the things quite different than outlined on that page).

All of those things aren't that hard to solve, but it just takes some time/effort to do them. And a crappy update mechanism is a real PITA so we should be careful when we implement it!
We could pull
news from http://www.wireshark.org/news.rss. But..
7) Since Wireshark is hosted by CACE, maybe they'd like to plug their
site?  WiresharkU?
I strongly oppose *any* advertisements on the Wireshark user interface,
be it for CACE, WiresharkU or anything else. The day I see
advertisements on the Wireshark GUI, I will stop immediately to work on
it any further - or maybe I would start a project fork!!! We are talking
about an open source program here - I really, really don't like to see
it to become adware!
...I can't guarantee that news.rss won't contain any advertising. The current
top news item is an announcement for Pilot, and past items have announced
Sharkfest.
So I don't think it would be a good idea to do it that way - it contains a lot of (direct and indirect) advertising.

I'm still even unsure how to do such a news thingie in a way that it is really helpful for our users.
On the subject of advertising, how do people feel about me mentioning CACE
products in the mailing lists? So far I've resisted, but it's pretty difficult
(for example, when someone says they're having trouble capturing .11 traffic in
Windows).
Well, IMHO you as the project lead should be careful not to blurr the line between the Wireshark project lead and the CACE employee (which you did well in the past).

But I don't have a problem if someone specificially asks about 802.11 capturing on Windows that you point him to the CACE airpcap website.

Regards, ULFL