Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:40:10 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:
> However, a basic news panel *might* be useful. Problem here: for example
> you won't get freshly developed features if you are using the WS release
> versions. I currently don't see a good way to handle these problems, but
> this might be a future thing to think about.

We can get version information from http://www.wireshark.org/wireshark-pad.xml,
and I can always add a more easily-parsed version file if needed. We could pull
news from http://www.wireshark.org/news.rss. But...

>> 7) Since Wireshark is hosted by CACE, maybe they'd like to plug their
>> site?  WiresharkU?
> I strongly oppose *any* advertisements on the Wireshark user interface,
> be it for CACE, WiresharkU or anything else. The day I see
> advertisements on the Wireshark GUI, I will stop immediately to work on
> it any further - or maybe I would start a project fork!!! We are talking
> about an open source program here - I really, really don't like to see
> it to become adware!

...I can't guarantee that news.rss won't contain any advertising. The current
top news item is an announcement for Pilot, and past items have announced
Sharkfest.

On the subject of advertising, how do people feel about me mentioning CACE
products in the mailing lists? So far I've resisted, but it's pretty difficult
(for example, when someone says they're having trouble capturing .11 traffic in
Windows).