Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] expert info indicator icons

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:47:10 +1200
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:07 +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Ulf Lamping schrieb:
> > Stig Bjørlykke schrieb:
> >
> >> Ulf: I like the new "led" indicator, but I don't like the icons.  Do
> >> you plan to make some better looking ones?  They seem to be out of
> >> shape
> >>
> > I also noticed that the icons are not as well shaped as I want them to be.
> >
> > They are just quickly hacked together from the yes / no stock icons,
> > maybe I will sit down with Inkscape and draw something better. Problem
> > is here, that the very small 10x10 pixels icons are pretty hard to draw
> > that they still look good and not blurred. So it's not certain that some
> > inkscape icons will look any better.
> >
> > Let's see what I can do ...
> >
> I've checked in some improvements, but it still not looks perfect.

Glad to see the Expert LED in the code already, fast work!

Having the click action launch the Expert composite is a nice touch.

The current icon versions do look better than before.

In Linux at least it looks like they could be a few pixels taller, but
this may depend on the font selection for the status bar? It also looks
somewhat squeezed between the left of the bar and the first text field
(File information). It might look better spaced if it was centered in a
square space.

> One problem I was facing is the conversion from Inkscape svg over png to
> xpm (with the lack of an alpha channel for xpm?).
>
> As we no longer support GTK1 (which was the main reason to use xpm), it
> might be a good idea to switch from xpm to png files (at least for new
> pictures) to avoid such problems.

Does GTK2 support SVG in the UI directly? This would address any scaling
issues.

Stephen.
    Stephen Donnelly BCMS PhD           email: sfd@xxxxxxxxxx
    Endace Technology Ltd               phone: +64 7 839 0540
    Hamilton, New Zealand               cell:  +64 21 1104378