Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark Portable

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:49:24 +0200
Ryan,

> The Wireshark portable app does not seem to be working correctly on Vista.
> I've tried it on several different machines. I keep getting the message "The
> NPF driver isn't running. You may have trouble capturing or listing
> interfaces." WinPCap is installed, and if the local version of Wireshark is
> installed, it works fine. I am able to successfully launch the local
> version, but the portable version will not run due to no interfaces being
> found. The portable version is working fine on Windows XP though. Is there a
> resolution to this?

If WinPcap is already installed, then the Wireshark portable shouldn't
even need to install it itself and it should work like a normally
installed Wireshark. Even if WinPcap isn't installed, Wireshark
portable just runs the standard WinPcap installer which should set
things up correctly.
However, I haven't run Wireshark portable on Vista - I'll have a look
and see if I can fix the problem.

Graeme