Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Any stand-alone applications using libwireshark?

From: Eloy Paris <peloy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:32:27 -0500
Hello,

Is anyone aware of any application using libwireshark for packet
dissection (besides tshark and wireshark, of course)?

I am working on an application (yes, yes, GPL'ed) that needs to dissect
packets, and I started down the path of writing my own dissection code,
until I realized that I am probably out of my mind doing that when years
of development have gone into epan/libwireshark.

I have been trying to build a small test application that uses
libwireshark services, and that is progressing, but I wonder whether
someone else has tackled this problem before to have some sample code
I can look at. I have searched left and right on the Internet and have
not been able to find any indication that this has been done before so I
tought I'd ask.

I am aware that tshark and wireshark can generate XML output, among
many other output types and methods, but my application needs to be
self-contained and operate close to real-time, so the best would be to
be able to use libwireshark services directly.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-