Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Linux Dissector Example

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 00:57:10 +0100
Hi,

Yes I've read them recently, and although most information is on Windows, it is because it's harder to get things going there.

So back to the issue at hand. Did you ./autogen.sh ./configure and make wireshark? Did you follow the steps in doc/README.plugins? These are the simple steps you have to take to start up plugin development.

Choosing between development as a plugin or build-in is discussed in chapter 9.1 of the Developer guide.

Hope it helps.
Jaap

warlord wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the 'rtfm', but it doesn't really help. Actually I do try to
follow the netiquette mostly and I did do my homework and I found these
files before. Have you read them recently? It seem to mostly refer to
Windows, telling me about resources being added to a DLL and whatnot. At
the same time, following the README.plugins guide on Linux doesn't work.
I did copy over agentx's Makefile.am, changed it to reflect the 'amin'
example src(which should hopefully be correct), and tried to run 'make'
on the file. It bailed with an error. A little example that actually
worked would help me and potentially others way more than guide that
doesn't.

Thanx,

wrl

Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

I must direct you to doc/README.developer and doc/README.plugins for more information on that.

Thanx,
Jaap

warlord wrote:

Hi everyone

I do realize this probably is one of the more basic questions, but still
it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm on Linux and I checked out Wireshark
trunk from svn yesterday and built it. Fine so far.

I was trying to follow this guide on codeproject.com to create my own
very simple dissector as a point to start from, but sadly this is for
Wndows and didnt work for me (This guide:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx)

I copied those files into trunk/plugins/amin/ but 'make' failed to
compile them. As Makefile.am was called the "Unix-version" Makefile or
something in the documentation that was the one I tried to run, but it
bailed with 'missing separator in line 29'.

So all I am looking for now is a very simple example dissector which I
can compile and use in Linux. I hope/suppose I can find my way from
there. I do realize I can look at all the folders in trunk/, but they
seem to usually contain a gazillion lines of code. I'd prefer a smaller
example.

My intention is to add a completely different set of functionality to
Wireshark, which could be quite useful for a bigger bunch of people.

Thanks for the supprt,

wrl