Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Linux Dissector Example

From: "J.C. Wren" <jcwren@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:44:50 -0500
Perhaps a slight change of topic, but what advantages do plug-ins have
(or not have) over built-ins?  I wrote my first (and only) dissector
as a plug-in, and other than the issue with packet spanning working
correctly, it was pretty straight-forward.  In fact, probably the
single most difficult (and ill-documented) issue was figuring out how
many *.nmake files I had to insert the plug-in name into to get it to
build.

I developed under Windows, since my target user base for the plug-in
is purely Windows users.  I had some help from the IRC channel, but
99% of what I learned came from
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html and browsing some of the other
plug-in sources, particularly H223.

--jc