Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to playback the AMR in RTP packet

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:45:33 +0100
You are right.
But in the case of AMR which is a codec to be used on
not-very-reliable channels there's more than just the
jitter/packet-loss every packet transporting AMR encoded audio (almost
always) carries three different streams a high-quality/high-bandwidth
(12.2 kbps) one, a medium one (7.40) and a poor-one (4.75) in case
reception is not good it will switch to a lower bandwidth codec.

The difference between the various "speeds" is radical (although not
that sensible in case of speech) in the case of musical instruments
specially, the lowest bandwidth codecs convert triangular waveforms
into sinusoidal ones converting a violin into something that hears
more like a flute.

Note: Those three bandwidths are just an example  see 3GPP TS26.103 if
interested in various allowed combinations currently used in 3gpp
based mobile networks.

Luis