Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 0.99.7pre2 is now available

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:55:01 +0100
Jim Young schrieb:
I think autoscroll behavior was changed (augmented?).

My observation is that auto-scrolling now stops if you scroll UP in the packet summary pane. You can restore auto-scrolling by simply scrolling to the bottom-most (i.e. most recent) item of the summary pane.

You can also click on the "Go to first packet" and "Go to the last packet"
toolbar buttons to accomplish same.
Ah, at least that explains what happens.

Well, I think at least the following is unintuitive:

I've steadily get packets rushing in.

- If I switch off scrolling (by using the toolbar - which is the obvious way to do that?) to have a look at some packets and then turn scrolling back on - scrolling won't start again as the scrollbar is not "down" - this is a bug now IMHO - If I select a packet in the packet list, I would expect the autoscroll to stop - this should be enhanced

So two questions:

- should the autoscroll mode be disabled (e.g. displayed by the toolbar icon) when scrolling is disabled? Having both a "visible" criteria (autoscroll icon) and an "invisible" (position of scrollbar) sounds not very intuitive to me - but I may be wrong here
- should "go to last packet" turn the autoscroll mode back on automatically?

What I don't like about the current implementation, is that you have to know how things work to be able to use them - and the visual feedback is pretty poor ...

Regards, ULFL