Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 0.99.7pre1 is now available

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:48:39 -0700
On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 10:23:49AM +0200, Kaul wrote:

> It crashes on reassembling a segmented XML (over HTTP - I reckon an
> RSS feed).

Thanks for letting us know!

> Regretfully, when running within a debugger, it only offers
> disassembly (although I compile with debug symbols). Any options how
> to debug it?

> I'm afraid the information within the capture is private, so I can't
> share it, but any help /hints debugging it will be appreciated.

On Unix - once you install Wireshark it strips the debugging symbols to
reduce the binary's size.  If you run Wireshark from within the build
directory, the debug symbols are still there.

On Windows - I think you can debug it even after being installed by
telling MSVC++ to attach to the process.  I know you can do this when
run from the build directory.

Steve