Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Startup speed up - remove dissectors?!

From: "Kukosa, Tomas" <tomas.kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:31:56 +0100
Hi,

it sounds good!
But I can imagine that it will not be easy task.
To define dependency somehow, check them and fulfil them during runtime
could be quite difficult.

Based on my past investigations it seems that it is possible to reduce
time spent in fields registration (proto_register_field_array) from 50%
of startup time to less than 20%. I hope it is not cosmetic effect. :-)
This time reduction would be based on some C code changes and few
assembler lines.

If we agree to do that than we could check after implementation again
where is the bottleneck and if it still make sence to implement
dissector enabling/disabling.

Note this measurement is based on profiling with MSVC6 + WinXP + AMD
Athlon X2.
Different platforms can produce a little bit different results.

Tomas